Friday, October 19, 2007

Pear Gingerbread Cobbler

Deciding to do something new, that I can hopefully stay consistent with; I have decided to implement sharing a recipe every Friday. This one is for a great fall dessert. We have had this several times, and it is a favorite! The flavors work really well together, and I hope that you will enjoy it as well. I got it from one of those little recipe magazines ~ Land O Lakes, I think, but I’m not sure. It was a fall baking themed one, and I just got it a month or two ago. I tripled this for mud football, and it tripled quite nicely. I always double it. If you use large pears, it doesn’t take quite as many.


Pear Gingerbread Cobbler

1/3 C sugar
1 T cornstarch
6 C 1/2" slices of peeled pears (5 med.) ~ NOTE: When I tripled this, I
       just used 9 large pears in an 11×15?
3 T water
1 T lemon juice

Gingerbread Topping (below)

1. Heat oven to 375*. Mix sugar and cornstarch in large bowl. Add pears; toss
to coat. Gently stir in water and lemon juice. Spread in ungreased rectangular
baking dish, 11x7x11/2".

2. Bake 15 – 20 minutes or until mixture is bubbly around edges.

3. Meanwhile, make Gingerbread Topping. Drop tablespoonfuls of topping onto
hot pear mixture.

4. Bake 15 – 20 minutes longer or until toothpick inserted in topping comes out
clean and pear mixture is bubbly in center. Cool 20 minutes. Serve warm.


Gingerbread Topping

1 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I’ve just been using Nutmeg)
3 T packed brown sugar
1/4 C butter, melted
1/4 C molasses
1 egg, slightly beaten

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar in med.
bowl. stir in remaining ingredients just until mixed.

We have served this warm with whipped cream. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment