Yesterday, he had some rhythm problems with his heart. His heart rate was over 200, his blood pressure was rising, and his oxygen sats were dropping. This is not totally unexpected. They not only cut into his heart, but took some of the tissue out, so the electrical system of the heart has been disrupted. Additionally, one of the symptoms of Ebstein's is also arrhythmia problems, because the right atrium is adversely affected and it is that part of your heart that regulates your heart rhythm. So, they ended up putting him on a medication to regulate his heart rhythm. They also decided to put him on methadone, to help him with the withdrawal symptoms.
He has also been periodically spitting up some greenish stuff. The nutritionist thought it was likely bile, because the feeding tube goes directly into his small intestine, so there is nothing in his stomach to throw up. But, this morning the cardiologist didn't think he was hearing much if any gut sounds...although there was evidence that his gut was working. However, the Dr. felt that it would be a good idea to have an x-ray and ultrasound of Jethro's gut. This evening, the peds intensivist told us that they saw air on Jethro's liver. This is not normal, and has them concerned that he is developing Necrotizing Enterocolitis or NEC. For a real explanation, click on the name of the disease. They will stop feeding him Mama's milk and start him on triple antibiotics and they will keep a close eye on his gut with x-rays.
So, our prayer requests are:
- That it is NOT NEC.
- If it is NEC, that it would respond well and quickly to the antibiotics.
- For Jethro to get through his withdrawals well. It is difficult to watch a baby go through this. :-(
- For his heart rhythm problems to settle down. The meds they have him on are not a long-term solution. They have side effects that make them undesirable for long term use.
- For God's healing touch on Jethro.
- We are likely looking at 2-3 weeks before we can go home. Our other children ~ especially the younger set ~ are missing and needing us as well. My Mama's heart is heavy with this separation, but driving back and forth is just not an option right now. Please pray that God would bring things together so that we can be together as a family again soon.